Kids these days lead a very sheltered life, which is not bad in the least, but at times a parent might wonder whether their child is developing the skills needed to survive the real world. So many kids don’t go outside to play; instead, they stare at their mobile screens for hours together, scrolling through TikTok videos. Children these days would rather spend time in the virtual world than going out and playing sports. It is a significant setback for parents to see their children waste their childhood like this without experiencing the joys of sports. The adrenalin rush, the sense of discipline, and the emotion of winning and losing a match are something every child should experience.
Have A Conversation First
There should be a discussion between a parent and the child to explain why one should try out sports as a hobby. Often, parents project their wishes on the children even if the kids don’t enjoy the activity that much. Instead of actively forcing your kids into some sports they might not like, you can take a different approach.
- You can take your child to show football, hockey, or soccer match to convince how exciting it feels to watch and participate in games.
- Take him to see school games where your child can see his classmates playing and bonding over shared experiences.
- Tell your child the benefits of having an athletic figure. Those who are not into physical sports become obese for leading an unhealthy lifestyle. On the other hand, a fit body is a top requirement of being good at any sport. Therefore, one stays in shape if one joins any sports team.
Provide Them With Proper Equipment
To get your kids to be more athletic, one of the first steps would be to provide them with the right equipment. Whether they are playing tennis, cricket or any other sport, having the right sports gear can make it a much more enjoyable experience. Get your kids the appropriate sneaker size and quality of equipment that will last long. There are plenty of brands to choose from, such as Puma, as they have a wide range of Puma trainer styles and sizes that can accommodate all types of feet. You can also invest in protective gear such as helmets and elbow pads, for sports with a higher risk of injury.
Select A Sport
There are so many sports one can be part of; Football, Cricket, Soccer, Rugby, Ice-hockey are some very popular games that one can take part in. One may even select less conventional sports such as swimming, boxing, etc. Let your child pick the game he is interested in; it is better for the long run.
Provide The Training
Once your child has selected a sport that he would like to try, it is your duty as a parent to ensure his safety while he is on the field. Be sure to purchase specific sports gear suited for the sport. For example, if your son decides to go into football, you must provide him with a mouthguard, gloves, protective helmets, shoulder pads, knee pads, skin guard, and sports shoes, preferably a boot.
- It is imperative to let your child know why he should be wearing the gears while playing. If one forgets to wear the protective mouthguard or pads, one may face injury. Many parents fail to distinguish between sports mouth guard vs night guard. While one is made especially for protection during the field, the other is worn at night during sleep to help teeth alignment and reduce jaw tension. Be sure to conduct thorough research before purchasing protective sports gear for your child.
- One does not necessarily need to excel at a sport to enjoy the same. Being part of a team will teach your child interpersonal skills, discipline, leadership skills, and much more.